Ooo-Jaa

Ooo-Jaa is the cutish sound we make which tickles our little baby. We enjoy making that silly sound, enjoy making that wide-mouth and silly face, enjoy the togetherness and enjoy the laughter. Ooo-jaa reflects my life's simple pleasures and a little snippet of my life.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Child Care = Learning to let go?

At work, I had spent much time sharing with parents about the need to learn to let go (with limits of course) as their tweenies are slowly growing into teenagers, demanding more autonomy, freedom to make choices and decision, and the space to grow more and more independent. I have seen the consequences of parents not letting go, being too controlling and overbearing, how the teengers-to-be fight back, become rebellious, and even resort to self harm to manipulate... The key is really to teach children to how to become a responsible decision maker.

Now it's my turn to learn the first milestone of letting go... when my little 3 year-old turning 4 year-old is going to child care. I feel the naggy apprehension (perhaps read and heard too much of some horror stories of child care) about child care, yet hopeful about the potential benefits of child care. And I tend to think too much, become overly anxious and at times paranoid. I worry about her eczema, whether there will be more breakouts and whether the teachers will remember to apply moisturiser faithfully after bath for her; I worry about her feeding problem, whether she will refuse to eat whatever she doesn't like and end up puking and then go hungry; I worry about her nap, whether she could fall asleep there; I worry about her being too bossy and her trantrums, whether the teachers will complain about her; I worry if proper learning could take place in a child care environment; I worry if she'll have anything to do there if we were to send her early at 7am every morning; I also worry about her being restless and 'under control' with pent-up emotions over a long ten-hour period every day;  I worry this and worry that, and to the point of having my Irritable Bowel Syndrome again (it always happens when I'm feeling stressed)... Ah! So much for talking about learning to let go! Ha!

Today is Yule's second day at child care, while I'm feeling much anxieties, I told myself this is normal, I guess this is what many parents went through too. Step out and she will be less clingy... she will do fine, as any other children... this is what I am telling myself. (Of course, the other side of me also wants to be inside the child care to scrutinise what's going on in there!)

I should remain hopeful of the potential advantages of being in a child care, like better eating and sleeping habits, being more independent and better control of her temper tantrums.

Yes.. I should remain hopeful...

No comments:

Post a Comment